Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Asian Honor Code

I've tutored literally hundreds of people for 40 years.  No bull, my first tutoring gig was in the 3rd grade when the teacher was so frustrated that I won every multiplication competition that she stopped allowing me to compete and instead helped others. And then there is my sister who I simply loved to help. She was a year older and I desperately wanted to read her materials to see what was next!

In the course of that time it has been my pleasure to be employed by dozens of Asian families. So the question is, "Are Asian kids smarter because of biology or because they work hard?" The answer is BOTH!

Biology is a key factor, but not genetics. There is a difference. Biology is true because a person who actively uses their cognitive powers through studying actually increases the neuron connectors in the brain, INCREASING cognitive capabilities. Like a muscle that is exercised and becomes stronger and leaner, the brain that is engaged in learning and studying gains mental "strength."

But hard work is obviously the main factor. And don't give me the typical American crap that Asian kids who are tortured by their tiger moms lack creativity, spontaneity, and blah, blah, blah. My kids joyfully work and enjoy the rewards of getting high marks. They are proud and last week when I questioned a top student on why he was going so far, he responded, "I want to do my best, it is the Asian Honor Code."

Meaning the students themselves take great pride in their own personal, individual, creative processes.

The overwhelming majority of great athletes and great musicians gain their status not because they were born that way, but because they practiced hard and often with DESIRE.

And Honor.

No comments: