Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Another blow to SAT Subject Tests

If the proposal reported in this article goes through, the College Board will take a major hit against "Subject Tests." I believe that subject tests were originally produced for the UC system, and remains their largest customer.

Well, good riddance! I am in the business of putting myself out of business. Though I've always been the kind of student who benefits from standardized tests, I do not believe that they have any real value. I'd love to see them go by the wayside, especially SAT Subject Tests. They have no real value.

Neither does the regular SAT, but I do not see that going away anytime soon.

1 comment:

Sarah Rainsberger said...

While I'm with you on the whole "are they really meaningful" front, remember that these tests are used internationally, and sometimes used for different purposes in different countries.

Here in Canada, these tests are by no means required, but they *can* be used in lieu of a formal education to demonstrate academic preparedness for university.

People with alternative or homeschooling backgrounds rely on standardized tests like these in order to get into university when they either chose to or couldn't have a traditional high school education.

People from other countries wanting to study in North America can present their academic qualifications in terms that American colleges understand, making an easier process for all.

So, whether the tests themselves are good or bad, the more options we have out there for students the better.

I agree with removing them as requirements. If you got through high school with grades and a diploma, I really don't see why one should need further testing.

But I'm thankful that these tests exist for students who wish/need to use them to demonstrate their basic academic knowledge.